Meeting 04 July 2019

 

7 pm @ Albyns Depot, South End Road, South Hornchurch, RM13 7YH

 

1.   Attendance/Apologies

 

Present: Jeff Stafford (JS), Sheila Clarke (SC), Raymond Randall (RR), Brian Breeze (BB), Liz Hawthorn (LH), James Rose (LBH Parks)

 

2.   Apologies for absence: Jackie Whitelock (JW), Stephanie Nunn (SN), Dave Bender (DB),

Richard Cottam (LBH Parks)

 

3.   Minutes of previous meeting and matters arising

 

The minutes of the previous meeting (02 May 2019) were agreed.

 

4.   Chair’s/Vice Chair’s Report

 

Email received from Becky Gibson (Thames Chase): Offer of help from Thames Chase volunteers to assist in the removal of Himalayan Balsam from the Ingrebourne River, or other work that is agreed. They are available in July/August on a Tuesday or Thursday.

 

RR suggested the creation of a new river dipping point, to alleviate the pressure on the current area.

 

RR and DB to liaise with Becky. 

 

Children’s Funfair: Slightly confusing Email received from Taylor Symth-Richards regarding possible children’s funfair in Park. See item 7. for further explanation.

 

5.   Secretary’s Report

 

Awaiting appointment of new secretary. LH taking/producing minutes until resolved.  

 

Funding Applications/Projects

 

Capital Project for 2018/2019: RR/LH progressing the writing/production of booklet, The Nature of Ingrebourne Valley, as previously agreed.

 

6.   Finance Report

 

Current balance £4,087.67 of which £2367.16 is reserved under grants (£599.74 TFL Cycling Project, £1767.42 Capital Projects).

 

Balance of unrestricted funds is £720.51

 

7.   Havering Parks Officer’s Report

 

De-silting of scrape: English Nature and Environment Agency must be consulted/involved and there are also complications regarding the disposal of removed matter.  To be investigated further.

 

Green Flag Award: Havering Country Park will be entered in next year’s awards. Funding of approx. £30,000 has been received from Veolia towards works. Planned works include the creation of a path, compliant under the Equalities Act 2010, to the viewing area; the installation of a wind-powered pump to help oxygenate the water at Albyns Park Lake; painting waste bins and benches RAF blues and additional bins; consideration of new signage.

 

Parks Strategy: A five-year plan for Parks is being written and consulted on.

 

Parks Events Officer: Taylor Symth-Richards has been appointed to consult with stakeholders regarding what type of events they would like to see in parks to increase community usage. 

  

Children’s Funfair: It is likely that a small Children’s Funfair (10 items and 3 caravans) will be in HCP 29 July 2019 to 7 August 2019. Further consultation will be carried out prior to confirmation.

 

Parks Forum: This year’s event will be held in October.

 

8.   Working Party Report

 

30 June 2019: 8 volunteers pruned trees and shrubs from pathways close to the car park and play area. The shrub in front of the sign in Squadrons Approach was also cut back.

 

Leaky Dam Project: A heavy fall of rain, causing a deluge of water from the outlet below the play area, caused damage to the leaky dam. RR to liaise with Vic Richardson, Thames 21.

 

Bench to children’s play area: An ornate, powder-coated steel bench with wooden, slated seat has been purchased and is awaiting installation.

 

Next Working Party: to be confirmed.

 

9.   Events Reports & Planning

 

Barks and Bounces: Aim to hold event Sunday 15, 22 or 29 September 2019. LH to liaise with bouncy castle suppliers, Essex Wildlife Trust and Taylor Symth-Richards (LBH Parks).

 

10.   Website and Communications Report

 

Old website still running, RR is updating new website before publishing. Receipt for host of new website to be submitted to SC.

 

11.   Other Business

 

First Aid Kits: Most equipment is out of date. LH and RR to update.

 

12.   Date of Next Meeting

 

Thursday 01 August: Date, Time and Venue to be confirmed.

 

It was agreed that the next meeting should be held during the day at either Albyns Depot or Essex Wildlife Trust Visitors Centre to make it easier for some committee members, LBH officers and EWT officers to attend.

JS to liaise with Jonathon Tahir (EWT)